Below is a fun activity to look back on the previous year. I’d love to hear your answers in the comments ❤
*Just realized after completion that I sound like a mess of sadness. I’m alright, just this year was awful.
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
I broke my first bones, got my first kidney stones, didn’t cry on the plane whilst leaving India, asked for a salary raise, lived alone for several months consecutively, and a few other milestones.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really ever make serious resolutions as I feel we should make an effort with each new day rather than one leap at the end of the year, but I didn’t reach my goals. I came home early and admitted defeat.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I know several people who gave birth, but I am not close with any of them.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
Stability – emotional, financial, geographical.
7. What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 9. When I left everything and embarked on the biggest failure of my life.
March 15. When I arrived back in the US.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I somehow gained nearly 2000 subscribers on my YouTube channel, many of whom I consider friends. I’m very surprised and humbled by this.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I left everything to follow my dreams. But I fell on my face.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Both, as previously mentioned.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I quite like my laptop.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Honestly I have been a bit of a hermit since getting back. I’m grateful to my coworkers for keeping my spirits up, even though they probably never realize that they are down.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My landlord in Bangalore who molested me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rebuying everything that I had sold before leaving for India. I’m still in debt for it and slowly widdling it away.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I was excited to begin the new journey and carve a path for myself rather than taking the same old. I was excited to see so many places and do volunteer work and make a difference in the lives of others.
16. Which song will always remind you of 2017?
I discovered a couple of songs that I like, but none are really etched into the year for me.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder? Much sadder.
ii. Thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. Richer or Poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I would say that I wished I had planned more, but I planned everything quite strictly. I did everything correctly and, in hindsight, I can’t make out any error that I could have fixed or changed to avoid the encounters I had. I don’t know that there is anything that could have been done.
I wish that I had reached out more. I think the toxicity of solitude was a big problem of mine throughout the year.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spending less time alone to overthink and to fall into the abyss of negativity.
20. What was your favourite month of 2017?
Honestly I didn’t like most of them. The weather was nice in the summer so there’s that, I guess.
21. Relationship status?
22. How did you spend Christmas?
With the fam.
23. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
I don’t know. Probably at home.
24. Did you fall in love in 2017?
25. How many one-night stands?
26. What was your favourite TV program?
Stranger Things and The Crown.
27. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I don’t hate anyone.
28. What was the best book you read?
Sadly I didn’t read much.
29. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Tamil song about YOLO.
30. What did you want and get?
To come home, a job offer after being home less than a week, to live alone.
31. What did you want and not get?
To live abroad in India, to not fail.
32. Favourite film of this year?
33. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 with little acknowledgement.
34. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being a failure.
35. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Dress nicely to go to work, wear pajamas all of the other times.
36. What kept you sane?
Solitude is amazing at both healing and destroying.
37. Which public figure did you fancy the most?
38. What political issue stirred you the most?
39. Who do you miss?
40. Who was the best new person you met?
Kannan. And my coworkers.
41. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017:
Failure isn’t always bad. Sometimes you need to be knocked down to regrow.
42. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
This is just a nightmare, soon I’m gonna wake up.