As many of you may have noticed, I got Invisalign last week. One week ago today, to be exact.
I want to document my transition here and maybe help anyone else who is thinking of getting them. So let’s start from the beginning.
I’ve been to a few consultations and looked into both traditional braces as well as Invisalign. I chose Invisalign because of a few different factors:
- no eating restrictions
- can remove
- only about $100 more than traditional
I paid the deposit, a little over 10% and will continue paying for about a year. The treatment duration is not fixed, but my re-check is at 37 weeks.. at which time they will determine what to do.
Each week I have to replace the tray, after wearing it 22 hours per day. It is only to be removed while eating.
This concerns me for a few reasons.
- Increased rate of tooth decay due to lack of saliva naturally lubricating and ridding debris from teeth as trays. This is primarily due to the close proximity of the trays to the teeth for such long durations of time.
- Potential exacerbation of TMJ. Some patients have reported noticing the symptoms for the first time during treatment.
- It feels SO. WEIRD. and I have a slight lisp even after a week.
I have noticed minor changes already though, my teeth feel wider as they spread out and I accidentally bit the inside of my cheek (not painful, just surprisingly).
One really important thing is your dental hygiene
- Every morning I soak them in Efferdent for 5 minutes. Brushing with toothbrush and toothpaste can cause abrasions which are best avoided as bacteria can live in them.
- Vigorous water swishing and flossing everytime I eat.
- Brush teeth after eating for breakfast and dinner.
- Rinse them off after removing (eww saliva) and keep them in the case whenever not in use, preferably atop a paper towel to soak up any liquid.
I’ve so far enjoyed the experience. Will upload photos later and update you next week on the next tray. Tonight’s the big change!